Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Few Bristol Predictions

Making predictions is a tricky business, especially for the psychically-challenged, like me. But be that as it may, I'm going to throw caution to the wind this week and offer up a few of my own Bristol prognostications.

I don't claim to have any insider information, but sometimes the future can be found just a easily by reading recent history as it can by looking at the stars.  And should I bat a thousand on the below predictions, I'm going to start playing the Florida Lottery, and pronto.

A milestone for Martin: If Mark GoDaddy Martin snags the pole at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend, it will be the 50th pole of his career.  And I think he's gonna do it.

Really, a pole isn't such a stretch, considering "The Kid" already has earned nine pole positions at the track - the most of any active driver (and tying Cale Yarborough for first all-time).

To top that, Martin did the Bristol sweep last year, earning both Sprint Cup Poles at BMS.

"Both times we went to Bristol last year, the guys gave me an awesome race car. We were fast right off the truck," Martin said. "I went out there and both times we were crazy fast. I remember thinking, 'This is crazy. I don't know how many more times I can do that to my heart!' But it's fun. And it's so rewarding to see the guys faces when we're at the top of the chart."

Carl keeps it clean - Given that Scotts is the sponsor of Saturday's Nationwide Race, I've no doubt that Carl Edwards will be on his best on-track behavior where Brad Keselowski is concerned.  After all, Scotts did release a statement post Atlanta that included a thinly veiled admonition to the driver they sponsor. 

To wit - "Scotts appreciates the support of NASCAR fans everywhere, and we have an excellent relationship with Carl Edwards, Jack Roush and the No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing team. However, like many fans, we were very concerned about the on-track incident that occurred in Atlanta this past weekend. As a result, we have strongly expressed these concerns to both Carl and Jack, and we are confident that they have a clear understanding of the trust we have placed in them as ambassadors of our company, our associates and our brands. In addition, as a sponsor, we want to make sure that drivers, race teams and NASCAR focus on keeping these types of incidents and misjudgments from happening."

Ouch! Look for Carl to smile for the cameras, keep his nose clean at Bristol and get tangled with Brad a few weeks later down the line.

Special K stays in the top 35 - Speaking of Brad, even though Keselowski seems to have a nose for trouble, and Bristol is a track where trouble comes calling, I predict BK will sneak out of Bristol with a top 35 points standing.  I'm sure his detractors would like nothing better than for Keselowski to lose three positions on Sunday, but I don't think it'll happen.  He's got something to prove and my bet is, he'll have a strong finish this weekend.

Best race of the weekend won't be for points - If last year's "senior skins" race at Bristol Motor Speedway  was any indication, the Scotts EZ Seed Showdown on Saturday night will be the most fun race of the weekend.  NASCAR legends Cale Yarborough, David Pearson, Dave Marcis, Harry Gant, Charlie Glotzbach, L.D. Ottinger, and more will be taking to the track Saturday night for a 35-lap sprint to glory. I, for one, can't wait. And based on last year's stellar third-place performance, I predict Ottinger will take the checkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment