Friday, January 8, 2010

A NASCAR Birthday Tribute to Elvis

It's the 75th anniversary of Elvis Presley's birthday (or, as I like to call it, Elvis' 75th birthday) and I just couldn't let the day go by without posting a little something about The King of Rock 'n' Roll.

I grew up with a Mama who grew up loving Elvis. So a few years ago, with feelings of reverence and fun that a few years ago, she and I and Mom's two older sisters embarked on a pilgrimage of sorts. We left Alabama on Highway 78 and headed to Presley's birthplace in Tupelo, Miss. and once we toured that tiny shotgun shack, we drove on to the Memphis Mecca of Graceland.

We booked the gold and platinum suite at The Heartbreak Hotel (located at the end of Lonely Street, no less) and we spent the weekend roaming the property off Elvis Presley Boulevard. I loved every minute of it - and I've wanted to go back ever since.

Like many a NASCAR fan, Elvis also loved cars, speed and the big show. And I've no doubt that were he alive today, Elvis would be the biggest NASCAR hound of them all. One could even argue - as did writer Colleen Kowalewski in a 2500 word paper - that there are striking simiarities between NASCAR's own legend Dale Earnhardt and the mythic status of Elvis Presley.

But such a comparison is a little bit heavy for our purposes. So, for a more light-hearted commemoration of Elvis' special day, check out this video snippet I unearthed on Youtube - it's Dale Earnhardt Jr at Elvis Week last year. Enjoy - and Happy Birthday Elvis!





No comments:

Post a Comment